- New Mexico Arbor Day Celebrated at La Merced Elementary School
(Valencia County News-Bulletin, Saturday March 21, 2009)
Belen – Dusty Roadrunner, celebrated New Mexico Arbor Day March 13, 2009 with students of Mrs. Gutierrez’s fifth grade and Mrs. Henderson’s Outdoor Club. Along with KNMB’s Environmental Education Specialist, Molly Madden, a Desert Willow was planted on the school grounds and the state Arbor Day was celebrated.
- Students At Zimmerly Learn Conservation, Plant A Tree
(Mountain Mail, January 2009)
Socorro – Fourth and fifth grade students at Zimmerly Elementary School planted a tree to off-set the carbon emitted by Dusty Roadrunner’s visit, last fall. KNMB’s Dusty Roadrunner on the Road program carried out a waste audit with these Zimmerly students and teachers in the fall 2008 and taught the three R’s of conservation: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
- Forty Bags of Trash Picked Up on Highway 1, Socorro
(El Defensor Chieftain, December 3, 2008)
Socorro – Sixty-nine volunteers turned out to clean-up Highway 1 en route to the city landfill and collected 40 bags of litter. KNMB member Socorro Chamber of Commerce received a grant from Keep New Mexico Beautiful this year for the purchase of litter pick-up supplies and equipment for their monthly clean-up community service projects.
- Students Dive Deep In Trash to Learn Recycling, Reusing, Milan
(Cibola Beacon, October 20, 2008)
MILAN – Dusty Roadrunner, the state cleanup mascot, paid a visit to Veronica Sanders’ fifth grade students at Milan Elementary School on Friday. The giant bird was there to lend support to Molly Madden of the Keep New Mexico Beautiful program as she conducted a waste audit and shared a lesson about recycling with the students….
To see the article on the Cibola Beacon website.
- FRIDAY THE 13TH IS LUCKY FOR BELEN ELEMENTARY SCHOOLALBUQUERQUE—March 6, 2009—School students at La Merced Elementary School in Belen will be feeling lucky on Friday, March 13th, at 9:00 a.m., when they plant a Burgundy Desert Willow tree on their campus in celebration of New Mexico Arbor Day.